Yemen: Peace talks in Kuwait end amid fighting
Aug.7, Sanaa: Peace talks sponsored by United Nations in Yemen have ended without a breakthrough, as fighting continues between government forces and rebels near the capital Sanaa.
The adjourning of the talks on Saturday came after Houthi fighters and the party of Ali Abdullah Saleh, the former president, rejected a UN peace plan and announced the appointment of a 10-member governing body to run Yemen, reports said.
UN envoy on Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed announced on Saturday a month-long suspension of the talks, held in Kuwait for more than 90 days, but denied their failure.
"We will be leaving Kuwait today but the Yemeni peace talks are continuing," Ould Cheikh Ahmed said in Kuwait City. He added: "We have guarantees and commitments from the two sides that they are ready to return to the negotiating table," he said, while criticising the creation of the council by the Houthis and their allies.
The rebels said the plan, which had been accepted by Yemen's internationally recognised government, did not meet their key demand for a unity government - a condition that amounts to an explicit call for President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's removal.
Local sources told Al Jazeera on Sunday that intense air strikes by the Arab coalition hit Houthi gatherings and camps in Mokha, Haradh and Midi, eastern Yemen, as well as in Nehem.
The Oslo Times International News Network