US military says civilians 'likely' killed in Yemen raid



    US military says civilians 'likely' killed in Yemen raid

    Feb.2, Sanaa: The US military says it believes civilians were among the casualties when US commandos raided an al-Qaeda stronghold in Yemen on Sunday.

    In a statement, US Central Command (Centcom) said that those killed could include children.

    Yemeni sources had previously said that up to 16 civilians were killed in the operation in Bayda province.

    According to reports, they included the eight-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, a militant killed by a US strike in 2011. The raid was the first such operation authorised by new US President Donald Trump.

    The US military had previously said a Navy Seal died and three others were injured in the raid in a village in Yakla district. Several Apache helicopters were reported to have taken part.

    It said three al-Qaeda leaders were among 14 militants killed in a 45-minute gun battle, but did not comment on reports of civilian deaths.

    On Wednesday, Centcom said civilians could have been hit by air strikes brought in to support the commandos.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts