UN says CAR children abused by EU troops



    UN says CAR children abused by EU troops

    Jan 29, Bangui: The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has said that it has new allegations of child sex abuse by European troops in the Central African Republic, (CAR).

    A number of girls aged between 14 and 16 have alleged they were raped by Georgian members of the EU's operation Eufor, the UN said. A seven-year-old girl and a nine-year-old boy said they were abused by French troops.

    The lack of accountability and corrective action by member states on UN troops who commit sexual violence in conflict zones has created a culture of impunity, OHCHR has said.

    The abuse is alleged to have taken place near a camp for displaced people near Bangui Airport in 2014 but only came to light in recent weeks during interviews with a UN team.

    Last December an independent panel criticised the UN's handling of abuse allegations in the CAR, calling it "seriously flawed" and a "gross institutional failure".

    France sent 2,000 troops to to its former colony in 2013 and began handing over responsibility to UN peacekeepers last year, media reports said.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts