UN announces cessation of hostilities in Yemen and start date for peace talks
March 24, Sanaa: Following “extensive” consultations with Yemeni leaders and regional partners, the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen today announced that parties to the conflict have agreed to a nation-wide cessation of hostilities beginning at midnight on 10 April, in advance of the upcoming round of peace talks, scheduled on 18 April in Kuwait.
“I have previously emphasized that only a political solution and inclusive peace process will ensure a future of reconciliation and peace in the country,” said the Secretary-General's Special Envoy, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, at a press briefing in New York.
One year on into the conflict, the UN estimates that tens of thousands of Yemenis have been killed or injured, one in 10 are displaced and nearly the entire population is in urgent need of aid.
“The talks aim to reach a comprehensive agreement, which will end the conflict and allow the resumption of inclusive political dialogue in accordance with UN Security Council resolution 2216 (2015) and other relevant UN [Security Council] resolutions,” Mr. Ould Cheikh Ahmed said.
“The face-to-face negotiations will provide a mechanism for a return to a peaceful and orderly transition based on the [Gulf Cooperation Council] Initiative and National Dialogue outcomes,” he added.
The Oslo Times