Turkish government launches purge after attempted coup



    Turkish government launches purge after attempted coup

    July 17, Istanbul: Hundreds of people have gathered in Istanbul and other cities after calls by Turkish authorities to defend democracy after the failed military coup.

    According to Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, by Saturday evening, the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had detained some 3,000 military personnel, with number of arrests expected to rise.

    Turkey's top judicial body, the HSYK, dismissed some 2700 judges on Saturday, Turkey's Anadolu news agency reported.

    Prime Minister Yildirim called the coup attempt a "black stain on Turkish democracy".

    Meanwhile, at least two judges from Turkey's constitutional court and 10 judges from the HSYK had been detained, reports said.

    Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said that the judges were detained based on "financial transactions and communications between the individuals in question and the putschists", but added that detention did not necessarily mean conviction.

    Another senior official, also speaking anonymously, told Al Jazeera that a top army general was also detained over his alleged involvement.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts