Tens of thousands killed in South Sudan war: UN
March 3, Khartoum: United Nations has said that tens of thousands of people have been killed in two-year civil war in South Sudan. The death toll is much higher than estimates by aid groups that operate in the country.
An unnamed UN official told news agencies that 50,000 have died in the conflict, which is a fivefold increase of the toll previously reported by humanitarian agencies.
Fighting is still ongoing, despite a peace agreement between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar signed in August last year, reports said.
The two men's power struggle started in December 2013 and prompted a cycle of retaliatory killings along ethnic lines between Kiir's Dinka and Machar's Nuer people.
Tens of thousands had been killed in the war but that the exact number was difficult to verify, UN spokesperson Ariane Quentier in Juba said.
The battle for control of South Sudan has repeatedly pushed the country to the brink of famine, with millions of people dependent on the UN and aid agencies, Al Jazeera repored.
In January, both sides of the conflict agreed to share positions in a transitional government, and in February Kiir reappointed Machar to his former post as vice president.
But despite the reconciliatory rhetoric there have been multiple clashes in the past weeks, according to Quentier.
The Oslo Times