Taliban launches attack on Afghanistan's Kunduz



    Taliban launches attack on Afghanistan's Kunduz

    Oct.3, Kabul: The Taliban has launched a coordinated assault on the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan, attacking from four directions and entering the city itself, a senior city police official told the Reuters news agency.

    Sheer Ali Kamal, commander of the 808 Tandar police zone in Kunduz, said on Monday that the attack began at around midnight (1930 GMT Sunday) and fighting was still going on in and around the city. "We are putting all our efforts together to push them back," he said.

    Military helicopters were flying overhead and gunfire could be heard in the city.

    A correspondent from the AFP news agency also confirmed the fighting.

    Kunduz, which fell briefly to the Taliban a year ago, has seen repeated bouts of heavy fighting and was previously seriously threatened in April, July and August.

    "A massive operation started on Kunduz capital from four directions early this morning," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in his official Twitter account.

    He said the Nawabad area with four checkpoints had been captured and a number of soldiers had been killed. It was not immediately possible to verify the claim.

    A Reuters journalist saw at least five Taliban fighters armed with AK-47 assault rifles, machines guns and rocket-propelled grenades in the city.

    The attack comes as the Taliban have stepped up operations in different parts of Afghanistan, including the strategic southern province of Helmand, where they have been threatening the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts