Syria talks at risk as opposition threats to boycott



    Syria talks at risk as opposition threats to boycott

    Jan 29, Geneva: Syria's opposition’s High Negotiations Committee (HNC) insists it will not attend talks on political solution to the war in the country, which had been scheduled to start on Friday.

    NHC leaders have said that the representatives would not travel to Geneva unless steps are taken to alleviate the plight of civilians under siege and bombardment.

    But UN envoy Staffan de Mistura plans to proceed with indirect "proximity" talks with the Syrian government.

    The already delayed talks have been marred in controversy and disagreements over who should attend.

    A Syrian government delegation, led by Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem, has already said it will attend.

    The Syrian conflict has killed at least 250,000 people, according to the UN, and more than half of Syria's pre-war population of 22.4 million has been internally displaced or fled abroad, reports said.

    Eleven million others have been forced from their homes as forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and those opposed to his rule battle each other - as well as jihadist militants from so-called Islamic State (IS).

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts