Syria suspends Aleppo evacuations, blaming rebels



    Syria suspends Aleppo evacuations, blaming rebels

    Dec.16, Aleppo: The evacuation of civilians and rebel fighters from eastern Aleppo in Syria has come to a halt.

    Russia, which backs the Syrian government, says the operation to remove fighters and their families from the area is "complete".

    But a Syrian military source told AFP news agency the evacuation had only been "suspended".

    At least 6,000 people have left the city since Thursday but the UN says at least 50,000 are still trapped.

    Pro-government forces have taken nearly all rebel-held districts in eastern Aleppo.

    A deal was reached earlier this week to allow people to leave the besieged neighbourhoods and travel to rebel-held areas in Idlib province.

    But violence appeared to resume on Friday, with Russia saying the Syrian army had been "liquidating the last isolated pockets of resistance".

    Four years of vicious fighting in eastern Aleppo have left thousands dead, destroyed hospitals and wiped out food supplies.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts