Saudi, Emirati officers killed in Yemen
Dec 14, Dubai: Two senior officers from the Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen's internationally recognized government have been killed near the city of Taiz, Saudi and Emirati authorities said.
The official Saudi Press Agency said that Saudi Col. Abdullah Mohammed al-Sahyan and Emirati officer Sultan Mohammed Ali al-Ketbi were killed Monday morning. The Emirati state news agency WAM separately confirmed al-Ketbi's death.
The deaths come ahead of a ceasefire agreed to coincide with UN-backed peace talks to resolve Yemen's war.
Neither agency said how they were killed.
A seven-day renewable ceasefire is scheduled to come into effect on Monday to coincide with the talks. Two previous attempts at ceasefires, in May and July, were followed by accusations of breaches by both sides.
According to United Nations, more than 5,800 people have been killed in Yemen, about half of them civilians, since March.
The Saudi-led coalition is backing fighters loyal to President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi as they attempt to roll back gains by Shiite rebels who have controlled the capital Sanaa since September last year.
The Oslo Times