Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik sues over human rights
March 15, Oslo: Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik returns to court accusing the government of human rights violations for holding him in isolation.
Breivik killed 77 people in 2011 when he bombed central Oslo before going on a shooting spree at a Labour Youth camp on the island of Utoya.
He was sentenced to 21 years in prison in 2012.
Breivik, 37, accuses the Norwegian government of breaching two clauses of the European Convention on Human Rights, reports said.
One of the clauses guarantees the right to respect for "private and family life" and "correspondence" and the other prohibits "inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment".
His lawyer, Oystein Storrvik, told AFP news agency that Breivik had been "very stressed due to his isolation" in Skien prison, about 100km (60 miles) south-west of the capital Oslo.
The attorney general's office has insisted that Breivik's prison conditions are "well within the limits of what is permitted" under the convention.
The court hearing, which is being held in the gymnasium of Skien prison, is expected to run until Friday.
If the court decides that Breivik's prison conditions are so strict that they cause him harm and violate his human rights, it could order an easing of restrictions, BBC news reported.
In a letter to media outlets in Norway and Sweden, he said he was kept in almost total isolation, with time outside his cell limited to one hour a day.
He said the harsh prison conditions had forced him to drop out of a political science course at the University of Oslo.
The Oslo Times