Nepal: Mt. Everest climber permits to be extended after quake
March 1, Kathmandu: Nepal government is to extend free permits for foreigners prevented from climbing Mount Everest by last year's earthquakes.
More than 800 foreign climbers had paid up to $11,000 (£7,900) for permits for expeditions cancelled after quakes in April and May.
Climbers who missed out will be able to use the same permit for 2016 and 2017, reports said.
Tourism department chief Gobinda Bahadur Karki said that the government has decided to extend permits for two years in order to compensate those climbers who could not continue their expeditions due to the earthquake, AFP news agency reported.
Hiking officials said that foreign bookings have sharply declined.
At least 19 people were killed on Everest in avalanches triggered by April's quake. Nearly 9,000 people died across the country in the two quakes.
The Oslo Times