IS attack kills 13 policemen in Egypt's Sinai



    IS attack kills 13 policemen in Egypt's Sinai

    March 20, Cairo: The Islamic State (IS) group has claimed the responsibility for an attack in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula that killed at least 13 policemen.

    Officials have said that a mortar attack hit a checkpoint in the city of El-Arish. But the group claimed a suicide bomber blew up a car with explosives at the checkpoint, which it then raided.

    Witnesses reported hearing a massive explosion and said the city had been sealed off.

    According to officials, the government forces later killed five of the militants who carried out the attack.

    In a statement on Twitter, IS said the attack was "part of a series of operations in response to the humiliation and searching of Muslim women at checkpoints".

    The group has claimed numerous deadly attacks in the region recently, targeting mainly security forces. They have killed hundreds of security personnel in Sinai since the military overthrew President Mohammed Morsi in 2013.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts