Indonesia hunting terror cells linked to Jakarta attackers
Kan 15, Jakarta: Chief of police in Jakarta has said Indonesia is hunting terror cells believed to be behind Thursday's attack on the capital, media reports said.
Two civilians and five attackers died in the gun and bomb assault in a busy commercial district.
Insp Gen Tito Karnavian said the attackers had been "neutralised" but were linked to groups across Indonesia and were "part of a global network".
According to the media reports, the Islamic State (IS) militant group has said it was behind the attack.
It released a statement online saying it had been carried out by "soldiers of the Caliphate", targeting "citizens of the Crusader coalition" against the group.
Authorities have named Bahrum Naim, an Indonesian believed to be fighting with IS in Syria, as the suspected co-ordinator.
Insp Gen Karnavian said Naim's "vision" is to unite the various IS-supporting groups across South East Asia.
Indonesia - which has been attacked by Islamist militants several times - had been on high terror alert following recent threats issued by IS.
The Oslo Times