Guinea declared free of Ebola virus



    Guinea declared free of Ebola virus

    Dec 29, Conakry: Guinea has been declared free of Ebola by the World Health Organization (WHO), two years after the epidemic began there.

    More than 2,500 people died from the virus in the West African nation, leaving Liberia the only country still counting down for an end to the ruinous epidemic.

    Guineans are expected to celebrate the landmark with concerts and fireworks.

    Sierra Leone was declared free of Ebola in November, but new cases have emerged in Liberia, which had been declared Ebola-free in September, media reports said.

    A country is considered free of human-to-human transmission once two 21-day incubation periods have passed since the last known case tested negative for a second time.

    According to the United Nations, 6,220 Guinean children have lost one or both parents to Ebola.

    More than 100 health workers also lost their lives in the fight against the disease.

    There were more than 3,800 Ebola cases in Guinea out of the more than 28,600 cases during the epidemic.

    WHO said, a total of about 11,300 people died.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts