Germany arrests three Syrian men 'on IS mission'
Sept.13, Berlin: Three Syrian men have been arrested in Germany on suspicion of being sent by so-called Islamic State (IS) to launch attacks, prosecutors say.
The men - aged between 17 and 26 - were detained after a series of pre-dawn raids in the states of Schleswig-Holstein and Lower Saxony on Tuesday.
Later, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told journalists the suspects may have had links to the men who attacked Paris in November last year. He called the three a sleeper cell.
The Federal Public Prosecutor's office has said no concrete missions or orders have so far been found, despite the seizure of "extensive material".
The men - identified only as Mahir al-H, 17, Ibrahim M, 18, and Mohamed A, 26 - are said to have travelled through Turkey and Greece on false passports.
Investigators believe they had volunteered for the alleged mission, and that the 17-year-old had been trained in handling weapons and explosives in Raqqa, IS's stronghold in Syria.
They received fake passports, mobile phones loaded with a pre-installed communication programme and four-figure cash sums in US dollars.
The Oslo Times International News Network