Friend of San Bernardino attackers faces terrorism charges



    Friend of San Bernardino attackers faces terrorism charges

    Dec 18, California: Enrique Marquez, friend of one of the San Bernardino attackers, who supplied the assault rifles used to kill 14 people in a massacre in San Bernardino, California was arrested on Thursday.  He was charged with crimes including conspiring to support terrorists.

    Marquez, 24, is the first person arrested in the deadliest terrorist attack in the US since 9/11. He is charged with plotting with gunman Syed Farook to attack a university in 2011 and 2012.

    Court papers show that he and one of the attackers had steeped themselves for years in radical and violent Islamist propaganda, including the teachings of the extremist cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and bomb-making techniques from an Al Qaeda magazine, news reports said.

    He is also accused of illegally purchasing the two rifles that were used by Farook and Tashfeen Malik.

    According to the criminal complaint, Marquez called emergency services hours after the San Bernardino shooting and told the dispatcher that the attackers "used my gun", BBC news reports said.

    He told investigators that he and an attacker Syed Rizwan Farook, had been discussing radical Islam since 2007. They made plans in 2011 and 2012 to launch deadly attacks on the college they had attended and on a busy California freeway.

    According to the FBI, the details were obtained during 11 days of interviews with Marquez in which he is said to have admitted his role in plotting murder.

    The Oslo Times