Fourteen killed in California mass shooting



    Fourteen killed in California mass shooting

    Dec 3, California: At least 14 people killed and dozens other wounded when three people opened fire on a holiday event at a social services center in San Bernardino, California on Wednesday.

    Two heavily armed suspects - one male and one female - have been killed by police after the mass shooting.  A third person had been detained, but it was not clear whether that person was a suspect.

    Police confirmed that the suspects were armed with assault rifles and handguns and wearing assault-style clothing.
    Hours earlier, the gunmen opened fire during a holiday party at a San Bernardino community centre.

    San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said at Wednesday evening press conference that the two people who were killed were wearing "assault-style clothing" and were both armed with assault rifles and handguns. He said authorities found what they believe is an explosive device at the Inland Regional Center, Al Jazeera news report said.

    According to the officials, up to 17 people were wounded and the city virtually shut down as hundreds of officers searched for the gunmen. The incident marks the deadliest mass shooting in the US since 26 people were killed at a school in Newton, Connecticut in 2012.

    The FBI is not ruling out the possibility of terrorism but the situation is still being investigated.

    President Barack Obama was briefed on the attack by his homeland security adviser. He said it was too early to know the shooters' motives but urged the country to take steps to reduce mass shootings, including stricter gun laws and stronger background checks, news reports said.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts