Explosion hits bus carrying presidential guards in Tunisia



    Explosion hits bus carrying presidential guards in Tunisia

    Nov 25, Tunis: Tunisian Interior Ministry has said that at least 12 people have been killed in an explosion targeting a bus carrying presidential guards in the capital on Tuesday evening. Ministry called the incident as a "terror act".

    The bus was hit on the busy Mohamed 5 Boulevard in central Tunis. The presidential guard is an elite security force that protects only the president.

    President Beji Caid Essebsi declared a state of emergency after the attack calling the country is "at a state of war". A curfew will be in place in the Tunis region until 5am on Wednesday morning.

    Local journalist Aymen Abderrahman said that "hundreds of police and military" swarmed the area of the attack after the explosion.

    Emir Sfaxi, a Tunis-based activist and blogger, described traffic jams and a heavy military presence in the city after the attack.

    Earlier this week, the interior ministry said that former President Moncef Marzouki was the target of an assassination plot, Al Jazeera reported.

    Marzouki "was informed by the interior ministry that he had been targeted in an assassination plan", a ministry spokesman told AFP, adding that it was planned by a "terrorist" group.

    Since Tunisians toppled the 23-year presidency of strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in 2011, the country has held several democratic elections.

    According to the media reports, the country has fared better than many of the Arab countries where revolutions launched in 2011 resulted in military coups, such as in Egypt, or prolonged violence, like in Libya and Syria.

    The Oslo Times