Deadly bombing in Syria's Homs leaves dozens dead



    Deadly bombing in Syria's Homs leaves dozens dead

    Feb 21, Damascus: At least 46 people have been killed and more than 100 others were wounded in twin car bombings near the entrance to the city's al-Arman neighbourhood in Syria.

    Dozens of civilians have been killed in the Syrian city of Homs despite announcements suggesting that a temporary ceasefire is closer than ever.

    Syria's state news agency SANA said Homs is largely under government control and has regularly been targeted in bomb attacks.

    The violence on the ground came on a day the US secretary of state said a "provisional agreement" had been reached on a ceasefire to end the Syrian conflict, the news report said.

    John Kerry, speaking in Amman alongside Nasser Judeh, Jordan's foreign minister, said he had spoken earlier that morning with his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, about the agreement. Now, he said, both the US and Russia planned to reach out to the various sides of the conflict.

    Kerry said he hoped President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin would talk soon and implementation could begin after that.

    The fighting in Syria started as an unarmed uprising against Assad in March 2011, but has since expanded into a full-on conflict that has killed more than 260,000 people, according to UN estimates.

    Millions more have been displaced, having fled to neighbouring countries and Europe.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts