Christian web TV channel destroyed in a fire in Karachi, Pakistan
Nov 30, Karachi: The office of the Christian web television channel, Gawahi, was destroyed in a fire that erupted in the early hours of November 23, 2015 in Karachi, the biggest city in Pakistan.
The office of the web television channel was set up in a residential building. According to the police, the equipment worth two million rupees
(approximately US$20,000) was destroyed in the fire. Fortunately, no casualty was recorded as the fire brigade was able to rescue the building residents in time.
According to Sarfraz William, director of the web office, local media alleged the fire was set by some miscreants who wanted to destroy the office. He further stated that chemicals were used to damage computers and other equipment. However, police claim that the incident was caused by an electrical short circuit.
The management of the web television channel submitted an application to the police urging them to conduct an inquiry into the incident.
The police are examining CCTV footage from cameras installed in a nearby church to confirm the cause of the incident.
William claimed that they had received threats from suspected militants in the past warning them to close the channel.
The web television channel was a Sindh province based television channel running religious programs for Christians since February 10, 2010.
The Oslo Times