Afghanistan: Authorities declare end of Kabul charity siege



    Afghanistan: Authorities declare end of Kabul charity siege

    Sept.6, Kabul: At least six civilians have been wounded after armed men stormed a building housing of an international aid organisation in the Afghan capital Kabul, provoking a deadly firefight with security forces, officals said.

    Early on Tuesday, police special forces killed all three men involved in the overnight attack in the Shar-e Naw district of Kabul, said Sediq Sediqqi, a spokesman for the Afghan interior minister.

    The interior ministry initially said one civilian had been killed but a later statement said only the attackers died in the gun battle. Security forces blocked all roads leading to the Shar-e Naw neighbourhood while the siege last.

    The assault began late on Monday night with a suicide car bombing close to a building belonging to Pamlarena, the charity CARE International, after which the attackers entered the building.

    The statement by the interior ministry said: "Police special forces immediately reached the site of the attack and started rescuing people from the building. ... 42 people who were trapped were evacuated by the security forces."

    In a statement on Tuesday, CARE said that "an armed group launched an attack on what is believed to have been an Afghan government compound located close to the Kabul office of CARE International".

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts