#DontgotoGeneva campaign launches in Syria to boycott talks
Jan 28, Damascus: #DontgotoGeneva campaign has been launched in Syria calling the Syrian opposition to boycott peace talks expected to start in Geneva on Friday.
Some of the Syrian activists have accused the opposition invited to the talks of looking out for their own benefits and ignoring the country’s peoples' demands.
"Geneva 1, Geneva 2, Riyadh 1 and I don't know what .. all these talks are lies," an activist in the Syrian city of Aleppo, speaking on condition of anonymity, according to Al Jazeera.
The UN special envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, sent out the invitations on Tuesday to the Syrian participants of the Geneva talks, which are expected to last for six months.
The talks come after a set of meetings between the international community and regional players.
The opposition's High Negotiations Committee (HNC), which was formed in Riyadh last month, said it would decide on Thursday whether to take part.
The Syrian government has already said it will attend.
Online activists sharing their opinions on Twitter and Facebook have criticised the talks and called them useless.
This post by one activist says: "Do not go to Geneva. We did not sacrifice all this blood and half a million martyrs to share the government with a criminal gang and their fake opposition."
The Oslo Times